Becoming an expert of conversation #crushit

March 19, 2018 | Posted by: Sherry Corbitt

Many of us build our business with networking event. If you attend regular meetings, the goal is to build lasting relationships and get to be a regular figure in our small community. The key to networking is communication. So how do we master this art of communication? Let’s take a look at some of the components that form exceptional communication skills.

One of the first things to work on is becoming more social. Try arriving to any meetings 15-20 minutes before it begins, in order to have one-on-one focused conversations with other members. The same advice goes for staying after a meeting. You will be amazed with how much of a difference it makes when it comes to building relationships.

Another helpful tip is to open your ears and be an active listener. Many of us can hear very well, but do not listen. Active listening requires you to get inside the speaker’s head so that you can understand the communication from their point of view. Some ways to display your attentiveness include keeping your arms uncrossed, using vocal cues and asking open ended questions such as why, what and how.

The third area to work on is finding a balance. You can’t do 90% of the talking while the other person only does 10%. There has to be some give and take, meaning there has to be some sort of balance. Make sure your conversation has a nice flow to it, as opposed to feeling like an interrogation.

A question to ask yourself is do you come prepared? When you come to these meetings, do you have a topic to discuss? Maybe something in the news or some relevant information to share.  If you are new to networking try practicing your introduction to describe you and your business to new people who may not know you yet.

The last thing to think about is who are you influenced by? Jim Rohn, entrepreneur, author and motivational speaker states that “you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with”. Choose wisely and spend time with people who have qualities that you would like to have. Learn from the people that you aspire to be like and watch your life begin to change for the better.

Always remember to be brave enough to start a conversation that matters! Now go out and #crushIT

Back to Main Blog Page

Share This Page On: